Welcome

Thursday, April 5, 2012

"This Is My Body" and "This Is My Blood"

Today is Maundy Thursday, the day we remember the Last Supper. Luke 22:19-20 says, "And He took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, 'This is My body which is given for you; do this in remembrance of Me.' Likewise He also took the cup after supper, saying, 'This cup is the new covenant in My blood, which is shed for you.'" I am sitting here at my computer just remembering: remembering that tonight my dear Jesus was betrayed, that tomorrow (Good Friday) He was tried, sentenced to death, and my Jesus died on a cross for me. I realize that He is not actually going to die tomorrow, but He died about 2,000 years ago, and my heart still breaks. I picture Him in the Garden of Gethsemane. "“Father, if it is Your will, take this cup away from Me; nevertheless not My will, but Yours, be done.” (Luke 22:42) I can barely stand it, knowing that I was/am that cup. This is such a hard topic to write a little post on; I have so many thoughts running through my head right now. There are hundreds of things that I could write about right now, but I think that what we need to do is just remember. Way too often we (myself included!) buzz right through Maundy Thursday and Good Friday and Easter, without really remembering what our Savior went through for us. Hannah Farvar writes, "It is not always easy to stare at the blood and wounds with the realization that those wounds should have been our own." I used to be afraid and uncomfortable with talking, even thinking, about Jesus' crucifixion. I think it was mainly the fact that the crucifixion isn't pretty. It's absolutely horrifying. But is that a good reason to just not think about it, because it isn't pretty? I don't think so. The past year Jesus has been showing me it's not bad to think about His death, in fact, our whole lives should revolve around it! His death is the very reason we can even speak to Him, have a relationship with Him, accept His strength and mercy, and spend eternity with Him! Whenever I spend time reliving (as best as I can, considering I wasn't alive then) His sacrifice for me, this overwhelming feeling comes over me. I know it's from Him because it is the most amazing, breathtaking feeling I have ever experienced. I realize just how completely broken I am, and how completely incredible my Savior's love and grace is for me. Will you join me in remembering? Yes, I totally understand that it isn't pretty, and it isn't the most lighthearted thing to think about. But remember what Jesus said at the Last Supper? "...do this in remembrance of Me." Let's remember our Jesus' sacrifice for us today.

Leave A Prayer Request

We believe that prayer is powerful! Please leave your prayer requests as comments on the most resent post. We will then post them to our prayer page so that other visitors can see them and pray for you or your loved ones too! Feel free to post them anonymously.